Flip screen from MPS in England. Not exactly correct, it needed a
lot of modification to fit and I had to cut nearly 50 cm off the top
as it came too close to my face. Now it's on, I am very pleased with
the result, it's a great improvement at high speed and I think it
looks good too.
Micron slip-on exhaust cans with K&N filter and Dynojet kit. (
Many thanks to Dave Hodgkisson for his helpful tips and experiences).
Believe what you have heard, it really transforms the performance.
De-linked brakes was an absolute necessity as a couple of times I
nearly came off when the front locked when I was using the pedal at
low speed in slippery conditions. From what I read today on the site,
my arrangement seems similar to one mentioned.
Mechanically it was not too difficult, but as stated, it would have
been a sod to bleed. As I had the bike to bits, I took the system off
and bled it on the bench. It can be done with care and patience but a
mityvac bleeder makes life much easier. A bracket needs to be made up
to eliminate the fork-mounted master cylinder. Mine is a bit of
overkill, but it looks nice and is light.
I've made a plate up and welded it on the bottom of the side stand
to stop it sinking into the sand which is a real problem here.
For the sake of showbiz, I've done a lot of polishing, chroming and
fabrication of small parts in stainless steel. most of the original
bolts etc. are ordinary steel and fester very quickly.
The bodywork has been given a right seeing-to. Although very
pretty, the original Honda paint is very thin and fades in strong sun.
The red I chose is a much more subtle wine colour
and the wheels are a deep purple/blue pearl. I enlarged the side
graphics and did the XX in a matching blue to add a bit of color and
to break up the slab-sided look of the bike. Then a wedge shaped
metallic black lower area was added to make the whole plot sleeker.
Finally I rebuilt the tail section in fibreglass, adding indicators
from the front of a BMW R1100S. This eliminated the cluttered looking
indicator and mudguard assembly, as well as giving me a huge amount of
under seat storage.
I junked the standard Dunlop tires well before the were half-worn
as they were rubbish. On went a set of Michelin Hi-sports which made a
huge difference, it was a totally new bike after that!