Arnold's
Super Blackbird
website

Super Blackbird Owners

United Arab Emirates
Name City XX Year Info
CBR 1100XX owners list United Arab Emirates
Henry D'Silva Abu Dhabi 2000
Wael Jandali 2000
Mohammed Al Sawaya Dubai 1998
Barry Wade
Modifications
    • Flip screen from MPS in England. Not exactly correct, it needed a lot of modification to fit and I had to cut nearly 50 cm off the top as it came too close to my face. Now it's on, I am very pleased with the result, it's a great improvement at high speed and I think it looks good too.

    • Micron slip-on exhaust cans with K&N filter and Dynojet kit. ( Many thanks to Dave Hodgkisson for his helpful tips and experiences). Believe what you have heard, it really transforms the performance.

    • De-linked brakes was an absolute necessity as a couple of times I nearly came off when the front locked when I was using the pedal at low speed in slippery conditions. From what I read today on the site, my arrangement seems similar to one mentioned.
      Mechanically it was not too difficult, but as stated, it would have been a sod to bleed. As I had the bike to bits, I took the system off and bled it on the bench. It can be done with care and patience but a mityvac bleeder makes life much easier. A bracket needs to be made up to eliminate the fork-mounted master cylinder. Mine is a bit of overkill, but it looks nice and is light.

    • I've made a plate up and welded it on the bottom of the side stand to stop it sinking into the sand which is a real problem here.

    • For the sake of showbiz, I've done a lot of polishing, chroming and fabrication of small parts in stainless steel. most of the original bolts etc. are ordinary steel and fester very quickly.

    • The bodywork has been given a right seeing-to. Although very pretty, the original Honda paint is very thin and fades in strong sun. The red I chose is a much more subtle wine colour and the wheels are a deep purple/blue pearl. I enlarged the side graphics and did the XX in a matching blue to add a bit of color and to break up the slab-sided look of the bike. Then a wedge shaped metallic black lower area was added to make the whole plot sleeker. Finally I rebuilt the tail section in fibreglass, adding indicators from the front of a BMW R1100S. This eliminated the cluttered looking indicator and mudguard assembly, as well as giving me a huge amount of under seat storage.

    • I junked the standard Dunlop tires well before the were half-worn as they were rubbish. On went a set of Michelin Hi-sports which made a huge difference, it was a totally new bike after that!